Battered Spouses and Children

Abusive spouses and parents often threaten their victims with deportation or reporting them to immigration officials in order to assert control. Under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) of 1994, spouses, children, or parents who have been subjected to extreme cruelty or battery have the opportunity to obtain permanent residency through a self -petition, independent of the abusive U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident spouse or parent. This process can take place while still married to the abusing spouse, and without the abusers knowledge. It is also not required that the police or criminal courts have ever been involved.
Additionally, please know that even if the victim entered the country illegally without a visa, under VAWA, qualifying victims are usually still able to self-petition and remain in the U.S. until they receive a permanent residency card. We have helped many, many victims of domestic abuse who for many years endured extreme cruelties and violence because they mistakenly thought they had no legal options. Don’t let this be you.


If you are an undocumented victim of domestic violence and need help filing an I-360 self petition, please contact the immigration lawyers at Law Offices of Clarissa M. Kalil. Call today to schedule a free consultation. Our immigration attorneys will confidentially listen to your specific needs and goals and clearly explain how they can help. To learn more, please contact us today to schedule a consultation.

Se Habla Español – Fala Português – Credit Card Accepted – Payment Plans Available

Our offices is located in the Inland Empire. Evening and weekend appointments are available. Please contact us today to schedule a consultation.